Memorial Day Weekend Updates
One of the nicer things about this business is that I can take a day off whenever I feel like it. Yesterday, I decided I would do some of the easier landscaping stuff around the house (mulching). I bought 5 cubic yards of mulch, a wheelbarrow, and a pitch fork. I am totally regretting it today. My back is sore, my arms are sore, and I didn’t even finish the job. There is a first and last time for everything.
If you’re in the US, I hope you enjoy your Memorial Day weekend and don’t forget the meaning behind the holiday. Here are some updates, thoughts, and a bit of advice for good measure.
- Michael Castello published an article on DomainInvesting.com that I think is worth a read. I appreciate that Michael shared his article here, and I hope he is willing to write more in the future.
- Domain broker Ryan Colby wrote a blog post, “gTLD’s: A Domain Broker’s Perspective On The Future” and he discusses domain name values in it. The article is worth a read when you have a moment.
- I don’t know about you, but I’ve been receiving more emails than ever trying to sell me .CN and other ccTLD domain names that match a .com that I own. Thanks, but no thanks. Luckily Google has been catching most of these in the spam filter.
- Andrew Allemann of Domain Name Wire published a (free) guide to selling domain names on marketplaces, and it’s certainly worth a read. You have to sign up to receive it via email, and you can do that here.
- Domain investors need to realize (I am sure most already do) that the new gTLD domain registries are in business to make money. It is generally in their best interest for them to ensure their domain names are being developed, used, and marketed in order to spur growth, but they are under no obligation to do anything for domain registrants. Perhaps gTLD investors should learn about the registry before buying these names as investments to see how they will market their domain names and ultimately add value (or not) to the domain names.
- I wish DomainTools’ Domain Monitor tool would allow me to monitor some of the new gTLD domain names. Right now, it only monitors .com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, and .us domain names.
- It may be a bit on the longer side at around 45 minutes, but when you have a chance, you will want to watch this Gary Vaynerchuk interview about sales and hustling. If you sell domain names, having some sales experience is important. This is a great video you will enjoy watching.
Reach out to Elliot: Twitter | Google + | Facebook | Email