Quickly Transfer a Name from Go Daddy
I have an account at GoDaddy, specifically because of the company’s high level of customer service. The one thing that irritates the heck out of me is when I buy a Godaddy-registered domain name in the aftermarket, have it pushed to my account, and then have it locked for 60 days. This is one of my biggest pet peeves in the domain business.
As a result of this policy, I will almost never have a simple domain push done when buying a name from someone who uses GoDaddy, unless I plan to develop it. When I am buying to re-sell it, which is more often than not, I will transfer the domain name out instead of doing an account push. I sacrifice simplicity, speed, and ease, to not have to deal with the transfer lock.
For those of you who are like me, I want to share a method to have your transfers out of Godaddy completed more expeditiously. This will take a 5 day transfer from Go Daddy to Moniker, Enom, Register.com, Network Solutions, or other domain registrar, and make it a 2 day process.
Here are the steps to quickly transfer a domain name out of Godaddy:
- Domain owner needs to unlock the domain name.
- Domain owner should then request authorization code and forward it to buyer.
- Buyer should initiate a transfer at his or her registrar.
- Domain owner should forward any security email that is received after the previous step to the buyer, and the buyer should proceed as directed.
- Wait until the following business day.
- Domain owner should log in to the domain control panel, under Domain Manager, there’s a tab that says “Domains.” In this drop down menu, there’s a link for pending transfers. Assuming the domain name is listed in there, he should check off the box and then click the “authorize” button on the upper right section.
- The domain name should be transferred the following business day.
I just did it yesterday and the transfer was completed this morning.
Reach out to Elliot: Twitter | Google + | Facebook | Email