10 Resources for New Domain Investors
I believe there are many people who read my blog who are new to domain investing. Perhaps they read an article about buying domain names, bought a few domain names, and they found my blog in their search for information about selling domain names. My hope is that many readers are doing some research before purchasing domain names.
I am often asked to share some good resources for “newbies” and asked about mentorships or other types of guidance from domain industry experts. Hopefully, the resources below will be helpful.
Unfortunately, I don’t know of many people who are willing to give (free) advice to newbies. I know Adam Dicker has often given his time to people without any expectation of compensation, but I am sure he doesn’t have time for everyone who needs his help. Most people who are successful in this business spend their time working on growing their business or they spend their time doing other things because they’ve built successful businesses so they don’t have to “work.”
Ultimately, there are plenty of free resources available in the form of blogs and forum posts, but that obviously requires a time commitment on the part of the person looking for help. If they aren’t willing to put the time forth to do research before they invest, I don’t really know why they expect someone to hold their hand or give them the time to help them make money when that time can be spent on their own money making endeavors.
10 Excellent resources for domain investing (alphabetical order):
- DNForum – Domain investing forum with tens of thousands of members, threads, and posts
- DNJournal – Also listed within Domaining.com, but offers a great info archive
- Domaining.com – Dozens of active blogs covering all aspects of the domain industry
- DomainTools - Lots of great tools to find domain names and do domain research
- ICANN – Learn about Internet governance
- ICANN Wiki – Learn about the people and companies in the domain name business
- iGoldRush – Tips, news, and information dating back to the 1990s.
- Namepros - Domain investing forum with tens of thousands of members, threads, and posts
- Protrada - Lots of tools and educational videos.
- TRAFFIC Conference – It’s expensive but it’s a great place to meet people in the business
Some of the resources mentioned above have information that is readily available, and others have great information that has to be found. All of the resources above will help someone who wants to make money from domain names. Whether a person wants to make a bit of extra money from domain names or wants to invest seven figures into domain name assets, the resources above can be used to learn about the domain investment space.
Keep in mind, all domain blogs (like TheDomains, Domain Name Wire, my blog… etc are under the Domaining.com heading since there several that would belong on the list independently). Also keep in mind that some of the resources listed above are advertisers, although I don’t make a dime more or less if you visit those websites.
I welcome you to share resources I didn’t list.