Sunday Evening Updates
I just returned from a vacation, and it’s nice to be back home. There’s something to be said about getting out of the country, but it’s always nice to return to the US. We had a great time, and it was one of the first trips I’ve taken where I barely checked my email. If you sent me something, it may take me a bit of time to reply.
Here are some updates – some related to domain names and some not so related.
– Thank you again to DudeRanch.com, Godaddy, and Richard Lau for their guest posts in my absence. Their posts raised $1,500 for the Ronald McDonald House organization that helps children with cancer and their families. My goal is to raise $10k this year.
– I tried the Westvleteren 12 beer at a great bar in Brussels called Au Bon Vieux Temps. I’ve heard this is the best beer in the world, and I would not argue against that rating. I could not imagine a better beer drinking experience.
– If you email me trying to get me to buy one of your domain names, please don’t send attachments I have to open in order to see them. I won’t open them and I am sure others won’t either. If you have too many names to put in a list in the body of the email, I can almost guarantee I won’t have any interest in them. If you have a huge list of names, just send me the best 5 to review. If you don’t know what your best 5 names are, I am probably not going to be interested.
– I keep hearing about the market slowdown, but things have been going pretty well so far. I am confident this year will be the best year for my company financially.
– Here’s the best top level advice I can give if you want to make a lot of money in the domain business: Keep your overhead low, only buy great domain names at good prices, sell when you receive a great offer (don’t be greedy), don’t get caught up in forum/blog drama, don’t develop domain names “just because,” keep your sales and sales prices close to your vest unless it benefits you to release the data, and network with others in the industry, but don’t be a pest.
Have a great week!
Reach out to Elliot: Twitter | Google + | Facebook | Email