Sunday Updates and Thoughts
Last week I went shopping for a metal detector so I could search for screws and nails at the playground I helped build. The top Google result for me was MetalDetector.com, a website that sells metal detectors, and ironically, they had a shop within an hour from my home. I went to visit and bought a metal detector. I spoke with one of the owners, and I hope to share an interview soon!
Here are some domain industry thoughts and updates for you. As always, you are welcome to share some domain industry thoughts or updates in the comment section:
- Alan Dunn published an interesting article about the Chinese domain name market on Business Insider. Alan shared some reasons for why Chinese buyers have been embracing domain names.
- Yesterday, I published an article discussing how I don’t really understand the Chinese domain name market all that much. There are plenty of other opportunities in the business of buying and selling domain names, but the Chinese domain name market continues to be one of the biggest stories of 2015.
- Don’t buy Olympics related domain names! Courthouse News Service published an article about Olympic Committees Go After Cybersquatter”
- GoDaddy seems to have had an exceptional quarter.
- There are now over 1.5 million .XYZ domain names registered. It looks like there was an increase of almost a quarter of a million registrations since the end of October, according to nTLDStats.com.
- The top 3 most registered new gTLD domain names are currently: .XYZ, .Top, and .Wang.
- Rich Green, my Sales Executive at Afternic, is my favorite person in the domain business today. He helped facilitate two domain name acquisitions this afternoon before the Patriots game. It’s always good when people know what types of domain names I am buying and can let me know when they see something that would appeal to me.
Reach out to Elliot: Twitter | Google + | Facebook | Email