5 Keys to Running a Successful Blog
It’s difficult for me to believe, but I have been blogging for almost 8 years. I started this blog in the Summer of 2007 (under the Elliot’s Blog moniker), and I have published nearly 5,000 articles in that time. Based on traffic, revenue, and even longevity, I would consider this to be a fairly successful blog.
There are many people who would like to turn a blog into a business, and I thought I would share 5 things that I think helped this blog become successful. Of course, you are welcome to share your thoughts about this, as well as more general thoughts about what makes a blog successful.
When you’re finished reading this you should check out Heidi Cohen’s blog for some great advice on publishing a blog. Heidi was a professor of mine at NYU, and I think you will benefit from reading her blog. There are quite a few articles about blogging with some valuable tips.
5 key factors that I believe have made this blog successful:
- Niche topic – Investing in domain names is a small sector, and anyone can participate. There are quite a few excellent blogs and websites covering the business of domain names, but that number is quite small when compared to other businesses such as graphic design or web development.
- Field expertise – My knowledge allows me to share expert insight that other’s wouldn’t be able to provide. I spend much of my time trying to buy domain names, bidding on auctions, and doing acquisition or sale research. When I learn something or think something may be helpful to others, I am generally willing to share that information.
- Frequency of articles – I am constantly looking to write articles that I think would be relevant to readers. I also do my best to write about current events and topics that are in the news now. If something happens now that will impact my business or I think is of interest to people in the business, I can generally publish an article with my take very quickly (lucky to have a supportive wife!).
- Engaged audience – Just about every article that is published has insightful commentary from readers. Frequently, there are excellent discussions and helpful information shared in the comment section.
- Supportive advertisers – Advertiser support is critical because I wouldn’t be able to spend this much time on this blog if I wasn’t being compensated. If there were no advertisers and I still had the desire to share, I would have to charge for a subscription. Advertiser support means readers have free access to the website.
Reach out to Elliot: Twitter | Google + | Facebook | Email