Sunday Afternoon Domain Industry Updates and Thoughts
I started training for this year’s Pan-Mass Challenge last week. I ran 15 miles, and I plan to keep that up for the next month or so until I take my bicycle out for the Spring and Summer. I don’t love running or cycling in the cold, so I try and wait until the temperatures consistently reach the high 50s.
I am not sure what is going to be most difficult – riding 163 miles on my bicycle or raising $10,000 for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute. You can help me with one of those things!
In the meantime, here are some domain industry thoughts and updates. You are invited to share your own thoughts and updates in the comment section:
- On Friday, I wrote about the .Cars, .Auto, and .Car registries exhibiting at the NADA conference. Yesterday, Automotive News published an article about the .Cars extension, Maybe it’s time to think about Vegas.cars. That seems like a pretty solid win for the registry operators.
- I need to start buying more domain names that I can re-sell in the $3-5k range. I like to focus on the higher value names, but it’s much easier to move names that are less than $5,000. The high value names feel better to snag, but consistently selling names for $3-5k that cost just 2 or 3 figures can really move the needle. It’s difficult to find these names though, and they can sit forever without a single inquiry.
- As Jamie Zoch noted this morning, it looks like the buyer of Lawn.com (who paid $240,000 for it at auction) has launched a new website.
- I like what Igloo announced with its “Brand Stories” pages. It is interesting to read, and I am sure it will be useful when pitching expensive domain names to clients.
- Please don’t use the comment section to list domain names for sale. You can always email me if you have exceptional .COM domain names for sale that I might be interested in buying. Sale comments tend to break up the discussion and they get marked as spam.
- It’s tax time… ugh. I guess it’s a positive thing that I am paying taxes, but it is always stressful waiting to hear back from my accountant.
- Happy 9th birthday to Domain Boardroom! It’s amazing to think that DBR opened almost nearly 10 years ago!
— Donna Mahony (@DonnaMahony) March 31, 2016
Reach out to Elliot: Twitter | Google + | Facebook | Email