Sunday Updates and Thoughts
The next week or two might be a good time to revisit past negotiations and try to strike deals. Some people may be wanting to add revenue to their bottom line for 2014, and others may be looking to spend some free marketing dollars. Whatever the case, the last week and a half of the year are usually more quiet as people celebrate the holidays, so now is the time to get some deals done.
Hope you enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Here are some updates and thoughts. You are welcome to share yours in the comment section:
- Sedo’s Great Domains auction for December runs through December 11th. Some of the more exceptional domain names at auction include Links.com, Bucket.com, Stages.com, Crisis.com, Pug.com, Nip.com, and quite a few other three letter .com domain names.
- Dealing with large companies can be a pain in the you know what. There may be lots of decision makers and layers of approvals, and all of that takes considerable time. I prefer to work with small to medium sized businesses with one decision maker that can give me an answer or an offer within a day or two.
- I’ve had quite a few people ask for advice about buying names privately, specifically regarding tools to evaluate domain names. For the most part, my private purchases are based on instinct and gut feel. Aside from DomainTools, there aren’t really any tools I use to find acquisition targets.
- I wrote about International Ninja Day and the .Ninja domain name promotions. According to nTLDStats.com, on December 3 there were 19,719 .Ninja domain names and on December 5 there were 22,504 .Ninja domain names.
- Here’s an interesting segue. I was watching the excellent Newcastle v. Chelsea match yesterday morning, and I saw the sideboard advertisements for Wonga. That got me thinking about one of my favorite artists, Jonty Hurwitz, who was a co-founder of Wonga. I did a Google search to see some of his new artwork, and I found his Twitter page, on which he is promoting his Art.Ninja domain name (forwarding it to his website). If you haven’t heard of Jonty Hurwitz before, I recommend checking out his art. I particularly like his anamorphic and resin sculptures.
- I got a great deal on my flight from Boston to Las Vegas on JetBlue for NamesCon, and my trip is now fully booked.
Reach out to Elliot: Twitter | Google + | Facebook | Email